top of page

Canadian Documents & Identification

Some important first steps:

- Apply for a Social Insurance Number. The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a 9 digit number that you need to work in Canada or to have access to government programs and benefits

- Apply for Manitoba Health Care Coverage for you and all members of your family

For more help getting any form of ID you can make an appointment with the Family Resource Centre's ID Clinic by phoning (204) 595-5005.  You can also check out their booklet (here) to walk you through what documents you need to obtain any Canadian ID.

Birth Certificate

Your Manitoba birth certificate is the first piece of ID needed before being able to obtain any other form of Canadian ID.  Birth certificates are obtained through Vital Statistics Manitoba and cost $30 for regular service (processing time: 8-10 weeks) or $65 for rush service (processing time: 3-5 business days).  They can be ordered online, in person, by mail or by fax. 

Things to note:

- The birth must be registered before applying

- Birth certificates are issued in the applicant's birth name, unless a legal change of name has occurred. If you have changed your name upon marriage, please provide your name before your first marriage.


Payment Method: credit card


In Person (appointment needed)

Payment Methods: cash, cheque, money order, debit and credit card

Address:254 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg, MB 

Hours: Monday through Friday, from 8:30 A.M to 4:30 P.M

Phone: 204-945-3701


Payment Methods: cheque, money order and credit card

Mailing Address:

Vital Statistics Branch
254 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg MB  R3C 0B6

Downloadable Form:


Payment Method: credit card

Fax Number: 204-948-3128

Downloadable Form:

Health Card

To receive health care in Canada you will need a Manitoba Health Card.  To be eligible for MB Health & Seniors Care, you must: - be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident or have immigration status - or hold a work permit (spouse or dependent) - establish a permanent residence in MB and - reside physically in MB for at least 6 months in a calendar year.  Manitoba health cards are free and can obtained through the Insured Benefits Branch online or by mail.  

When you register, you will need to:

- complete a Manitoba Health Registration Form

- provide your previous province's/territory's health card number (if applicable)

- provide valid proof of legal status in Canada (birth certificate, passport, status card or permanent resident card)

AND provide proof of residence. See below.

Please provide any one of these documents to prove residence:

- Signed mortgage agreement

- Signed long term rental or lease agreement (6 months or more)

- Current Employment Confirmation (dated letter from employer on company letterhead)

- Notarized letter from the homeowner or leaseholder stating: (1) names of the applicants for Manitoba health coverage living with them in the residence; and (2) length of stay

OR Any two of these documents, subject to the documents being acceptable to MHSC:

- Utility Bill, telephone, cable/satellite TV, gas, water/sewer (not older than 2 months)

-Insurance policy (home or tenant)

- Property Tax Bill (current year)

- Valid Manitoba Driver's License

- Confirmation of attendance from a school, college or university (not older than 2 months)

- Social Assistance Benefit Confirmation

- Employment and Income Assistance Statement of Benefits

- Child Tax Benefit statement




Mailing Address:

Insured Benefits Branch

300 Carlton St

Winnipeg MB R3B 3M9

Downloadable Form:

Social Insurance Number (SIN)

If you are a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or temporary resident, you need a SIN to work in Canada or to receive benefits and services from gov't programs. Children who are 12 years of age or older may apply for their own SIN. You can apply in person at any Service Canada office, documents will be returned to you and you will get your SIN during the visit or you can also apply online or by mail. 

Documents Needed:

- birth or citizenship certificate

- passport or ID card or drivers license

- proof of address issued by a government, company, institution, landlord, or employer

- original valid supporting document (only applicable if the name on your primary ID document is different from the name on your secondary document or than the name on your online SIN form)

Please note an envelope is not proof of address and correspondence from the SIN program is not acceptable documentation.

In Person

Address: 1016 Saskatchewan Ave E Portage la Prairie, MB R1N 3V2

Hours: Mon, Wed, Thurs, Fri: 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM, Tues & weekends: closed

Phone: 1-800-622-6232

Please note when applying in person you must bring in your original documents


Mailing Address: 

Service Canada
Social Insurance Registration Office
PO Box 7000
Bathurst NB  E2A 4T1

Downloadable Form:

Please note when applying by mail you must send in your original documents



Please note when applying online you must scan and attach copies of your original documents

If you are a parent/legal guarding applying online on behalf of a minor, you need:

- a digital copy of the child’s original valid primary identity document (you must provide both sides of the document if there is identity information on each side)

- a digital copy of the child’s original valid supporting document (only applicable if the name on the child’s primary identity document is different from the one on the online SIN application)

- parent or legal guardian: a digital copy of your original valid primary identity document (you must provide both sides of the document if there is identity information on each side)

- parent or legal guardian: a digital copy of your original valid secondary document

- parent or legal guardian: a digital copy of your proof of address

- parent or legal guardian: a digital copy of your original valid supporting document (only applicable if the name on your primary identity document is different from the one on your secondary document or from the parent’s or legal guardian’s name on the online SIN application form)

- legal guardian only: a digital copy of an original or certified copy of a document that confirms your legal guardianship, issued by a provincial or territorial authority

Drivers License

The MB Drivers License proves ID, age and residency. It cannot be used to cross the border. If you are under 18, a parent/guardian must co-sign your application. An annual renewal fee is charged, based on your driving record.  Manitoba drivers license's cost $65 (valid for 5 years) and $10 to replace or make changes.  Drivers License's are obtained through MPI.  

Key Elements for supporting documents (full list of acceptable documents linked below):

- birth date

- legal name

- photo

- residency/address

- entitlement to be in Canada

- proof of name change (if applicable)

Documents must be dated within 90 days of application and must be originals.  Take all necessary documents to an Autopac agent to process and to have your photo taken.

General Information:

Identity Documets:


To apply for a passport, you need to be a Canadian citizen.  Passports cost $120 for a 5 year adult passport (16+) $160 for a 10 year adult passport (16+) or $57 for Child passport (0-15).  You apply for your passport by mail or in person.  

Documents needed to apply for a passport:

- Birth Certificate, original only

- Government issued ID. It must include name, birth date, photo and signature. Photocopies are allowed, but must be signed by guarantor

- Two identical passport photos. Name, address and date of the photographer must be on the back, also must be verified by guarantor.

- Any valid Canadian passport or travel document, so it can be cancelled.

Please note extra documents may be needed if you are replacing a passport or if there has been a name or gender change.

Who can be a guarantor?

They must have known you for at least 2 years, be a Canadian citizen, be at least 18 years old and hold either a 5 or 10 year passport that is current and valid.

Who can be a reference?

They must have known you for at least 2 years, be at least 18 years old, cannot be family member, and cannot be the same person as your guarantor. You need 2 references to include on your application.


When applying by mail, the passport and any original documents you sent will be returned to you and may be in 2 separate packages.

Payment Methods: credit card, prepaid card (embossed only), debit card, cheque, money order

Mailing Address: 

Government of Canada
Passport Program
Gatineau, Quebec  K1A 0G3

Downloadable Form:

In Person (appointment needed)

You need to complete to online Service Canada form (

- click on the Passport services: appointment request for a passport service

-check the box beside To Obtain an in-person appointment, select this option

Service Canada will call you back to schedule your appointment

Payment Methods: credit card, prepaid card (embossed only), cheque, money order

Downloadable Form:

Covid-19 Immunization Card

Those without a Manitoba health card may call 1-844-626-8222 and speak with an agent who will provide a client identification number for the digital version of the card.  (Manitobans who have received the vaccine can access their immunization record online, it shows the dates and types of vaccines received.)  When you request a card, a digital copy that you can carry on your phone will be automatically issued. If you request a physical card, it should arrive in the mail within 2 weeks. These cards include your name and a QR code.  If the address on your health card is not current, it must be updated first. Once you receive your new health card, you can request your vaccine card.

To be eligible for a card:

- you must have a MB Health card

- have received all doses of the vaccine

- you must wait 14 days after getting your last vaccine

Immunization Card request form:

bottom of page